Candidate for Planning & Zoning Commission
Why I Am Running for Planning & Zoning
It has been incredibly rewarding to serve South Windsor as a town government volunteer for the past 20 years. I will continue to bring that experience to our town as the Planning and Zoning Commission (PZC) faces new challenges ahead.
The PZC will be required to develop a new Housing Plan, write a new Plan of Conservation and Development, and address changes enacted in recent state legislation. I will ensure that the Commission supports an economic development- friendly environment that helps hold the line on taxes while we maintain a mix of land uses that include farming, housing of all types, great schools, industry, shopping, recreation, and open space.
My Vision for South Windsor
My vision is to improve on a town already nationally recognized as a great place to work, live, learn, and play.
The PZC is critical to our future success, and we will continue the work to improve our Buckland/Sullivan and Route 5 corridors. We need to help our farmers stay viable with flexibility in how they use their land.
Local retail businesses need consideration as they adapt to market changes and co-exist with name brands like Geissler’s, COSTCO, Whole Foods, Aldi’s. The PZC must help younger folks starting their careers with housing they can afford; and we must connect open space corridors for wildlife and passive recreation.
In cooperation with the Energy Committee, which I chair, we must continue our work on zoning regulations for renewable energy and electric vehicle charging that have positioned us as a leader and model; we must continue to advocate for solar energy solutions by which the Town will achieve its goal of 100% renewable electricity sources on town facilities by 2023 saving taxpayers $7 million; and finally, the PZC must take advantage of new laws giving us even more ways to address climate change.
- Incumbent: Planning and Zoning Commission – 4 years
- Vice Chair: South Windsor Water Pollution Control Authority – 3 years
- Past Member: Town Council – 2 years
- Past Member: Zoning Board of Appeals – 12 years (4 years as Chair)
- Member and 4th Grade Bike Instructor: Walk and Wheel Ways – 7 years
- Chair: Town of South Windsor Energy Committee – 7 years
- Nuclear Physicist and Engineer at Combustion Engineering, Westinghouse, and as a private consultant – 39 years. Work included physics software development, project management and industrial event investigations at facilities worldwide
- Bachelor of Science (Engineering Physics) – Cornell University
- Master of Science (Applied Mathematics) – Harvard University
- Senior Project Manager – Project Management Institute
- Certified Root Cause Investigator and Instructor